Monday, May 30, 2011

Chapter 1: Part 10


In fact, it occured to both Iris and Arky that something was terribly wrong at approximately the same time.

This was the morning after Arky reached the Dune village for him. He was of course, in a position to contact Iris, and sent her a thought immediately.

Iris wasn't particularly in a position to contact Arky without compromising her alias, but she was forced to anyway when she received Arky's thought. She had to search for the awkward end to the conversation that wasn't there.

"Well, Alteus, I'm glad I was able to help. But I think I remembered that I had to do something."

"Wait! I thought you said you were going to stay here to learn cetacean culture!"

"Well yes, but I just found out that-"

"You just found out something you remembered?" asked Alteus quizzically. Please, if its nothing urgent, we could really use your-"

"Actually, Alteus," said Iris, reverting to her usual form. "Its me."

Alteus looked absolutely flabbergasted. "Wha- What?"

"I was going to stay in sea lion form for longer and mess with you some more, but something has just come to my attention that should be fixed. You shouldn't be having these earthquakes in the first place. I'm going to have to meet Arky about this, because apparently he has a similar set of problems."

"You were Siri? No, Siri, can you polymorph?"

"IT'S ME." stated Iris simply, with the force of thought only a guardian could muster.

"Oh," said Alteus.

Iris reached out with her thought, and made the supports to the city as permanent as she could with all her powers as a guardian, since she didn't have to be discreet anymore.

"I've fixed your city, the earthquakes shouldn't be a problem anymore for a long time. But now I really do have to go."

"Uh, okay. Thanks, Iris. But what do you mean we shouldn't be having earthquakes? Haven't we always had them?" Alteus looked confused.

"I'm only slightly less confused than you are Alteus, but for a different reason. With any luck Arky and I will have this resolved within the day. Don't worry about it."

"Alright." said Alteus in a tone that indicated his confusion had merely been compounded several fold. "Umm, Good luck."

Iris waved and jumped to the moon, this time not bothering with a showy exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment