Friday, May 20, 2011

Chapter 1: Part 6


"I have! I even learned to move things!" said Winda.

"Oh! By yourself? I'm impressed."

"Yeah! It only took me about 2 weeks. Now I can move even big rocks! Look!"
Winda closed her eyes tightly and concentrated. With a big effort, she lifted up a pebble about the size of her hand and raised it to head height.

"Impressive."

"Really?" Winda opened her eyes wide with excitement and promptly dropped the rock right over her foot.

Arky swiftly caught it with his thought, forestalling the unpleasant pedal contusion that would have otherwise followed. He carried it off to the side of the path where it wouldn't bother anyone.

Now Winda's eyes were wide with amazement.

"Wow! How long did it take you to learn to do that!?"

Arky half smiled and half winced. "Well, to tell you the truth, it only took me about a minute."

"No way!"

"I'm not kidding. But don't worry. You'll get that good eventually too."

"Are you going to teach me some more this week?"

"Yes, as much as I can. I'll be pretty busy though. Iris had the idea of establishing schools in various places, and Dune village is one of those places. Once we're done, you'll get to learn this at school too."

They walked in silence for a bit as they approached the entrance to the village. Arky was looking forward to seeing its residents after a long time.

Hmm. This was odd. The village seemed quieter than usual. As they entered the village, Arky felt a spell go off, set to trigger when he entered. He knew it would have escaped the detection of any other being besides Iris or him.

Winda jumped in front of him and faced him. Arky could feel the spell beginning to work around him, but he couldn't tell what it was doing. He desperately tried to clear his mind and focus on the underlying thought behind the psychic construct. It was enormously complex. Whoever set this up must have had a lot of time on their-

"SURPRISE!" yelled Winda and the townspeople. The spell shot fireworks into the air, and everyone including Knoyou was out on the street congradulating him.

[I failed to draw a picture in time. you don't hate me for it, right? there will be one up next week, I promise.]

No comments:

Post a Comment